Thursday, December 14, 2006

Let's push theose wheels

Here is a picture of Jake when he was 6 months old. You know, the one between the bear and the frog.

This week the weather is exceptionally warm in NY, which is great and I am taking full advantages of it. Here is how: Jake got his new walker about a week ago. I started to have him walk with his walker from our apartment out to the car, which is parked on the street, and also from the car into the apartment. He did great; no complain no whining, just needed occasional help with turning. Today I took it up a notch; I had him to walk with the walker from where I parked on the street all the way into his classroom, which is about 2 city blocks in distance. We did that twice today. He did awesome, just a tiny little complain at the end of the second trip.

I don’t really care when strangers on the streets walk by and look at us, look at Jake walking with his walker, in fact, I am so proud of the fact that he is walking with the walker. I am ecstatic over the fact that he is gaining independence and confidence. Actually, in the past 4 days that we have been practicing walking outdoors, Jake has gotten “thumbs up” from many people; the porter in our building, the school bus drivers and girls that help out on the bus, the classroom aids, his after school speech therapist was ecstatic when she saw Jake walked into her building by himself using the walker.

My mom is coming back from Shanghai at the end of January, I am thinking if Jake can walk from our apartment to hers wouldn’t that save us some gas money? Just kidding.

No comments: