Thursday, July 12, 2007

A special moment but I was in total shock

I have to write about what Jake did today, even though I’ve already called and wrote emails about it to a tone of people within the last hour. But the reason why I started this blog is to write about Jake’s accomplishments and not his disabilities, and today he accomplished something HUGE.

This afternoon, I sat Jake on a bench against the wall and walked to another room to set up a swing for him, I wanted him to spin on the swing which is something he really enjoys and he laughs out loud when doing it. As I was hooking up the swing, I saw something move in the corner of my eyes, I looked over, what did I see??

I saw Jake walking by himself towards the middle of the room. When I saw him, he was already 4 steps away from the bench, then I watched him take another 4 steps, then it looked like he was going to fall; he reached out both of his arms before he fell on the floor. You may ask why didn’t I run up to him as he was falling, because I was completely in shock I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

For the first time ever in 5 years, 1 month and 2 days, Jake stood up and walked on his own. This is huge; my friends say that is bigger than huge.

I don’t know when Jake will do it again, (I know he will), but I was there for the very first time that he did it, and it was a special moment that I envisioned, even dreamed about for so long, and now I have that moment.