Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jake started going to his new school

Jake started going to the new school this week. Earlier then expected and overall, I am very pleased with the change.

The teacher is a guy, which is a rare commodity in the world of special education. He embraces technology, prefers to communicate with parents via E-mail. Wow, wait until he finds out what an email junkie I am…our communication will be frequent if not daily! Oh, he likes the color purple, and wears purple T-shirts everyday. I think he needs to set up his own IEP goal: I will wear non purple t-shirts 20% of the time with minimum reminder. :-) Jake’s classroom Para told me she has 19 years experience working with children with special needs, she is currently getting her master in child psychology. She is young and energetic. She told me she doesn’t want Jake to use the straw cup I sent to school, instead she wants him to practice using an open cup; I am liking this lady already!

Jake has to walk everywhere in school with his walker. I hope by doing so, physically - he can build up his endurance and strength; mentally - he can realize that he CAN be independent.

I had to switch my work schedule around in order to accommodate Jake going to the new school. My boss was very understanding, he told me I can have whatever schedule I want as long as I finish my responsibilities at work. I am grateful that he is an understanding employer, but hey, I am not a lousy employee either!

OK, back to Jake’s new school. The children in his class are mostly a few years older than Jake. I like the fact that most of them are eager to participate in classroom activities, which serve as positive role models for Jake; and from the short time that I observed the class, they seem to be very gentle to each other, which is very comforting to me, especially since Jake has almost no ability to protect himself.

That is it for now…