Wednesday, May 20, 2009

DJ Jake


Jake’s class performed a dance called Shape Inc. at the school assembly this morning. Jake was the DJ (DJ Jake), and he introduced the shapes by using a Dynavox (a voice output augmentative communication device) as his classmates came out dancing according to the shapes they represented. The dance was performed for the general education students in the same building, and those kids loved it. They clapped and cheered on, it was great. I thought his teacher Rob gave Jake a very appropriate role in the performance. Instead of have him walk out with his walker as one of the shapes, I think Jake was able to comprehend and connect more to the whole performance by doing what he enjoys more, which is using his communication device.

I was in a rush to get to school on time for the performance, I forgot to take a camera with me, so attached is a picture from his teacher.


Jake also went to a wedding earlier this month. One of his speech therapists invited us to attend her wedding ceremony at the church and Jake had the task of bring up the gifts to the father. I don’t have a picture of Jake walking to bring up the gifts because I was walking along side of him, but here is a picture of Jake walking into the church before the ceremony started.