Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Good news, Jake’s “bad” leg seems to be getting better. I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this, but he is not limping anymore!

Tonight we had dinner with an older couple and their adult son who is severely disabled. I met them by chance about two years ago, and instantly we became friends. There is an unspoken understanding between our families because everything we are going through, they have been through, and everything they are going through, we will probably go through.

Last year for mother’s day, I bought a bouquet of flowers for Mrs. Pan. This year I bought a cake and wanted to have coffee and cake with her, but instead she invited us over for dinner, and then we had coffee and cake. Their unconditional love for their son is truly an inspiration to me because after almost 30 years, they are as dedicated to the care of this son as the day he was born; and everything they do they do it for him, and every moment they live they live to take care of him. What do they get in return? Nothing really if you look at it from a traditional sense, their son will not get a college degree, he will never have a job and make a living for himself, he will never marry and give them grandchildren. But none of these matters, they take care of their son day after day, and year after year.

I often think if Jake is our only child and if he is still totally dependent on us for his daily care when he is older and we are old and gray, isn’t their today our tomorrow? I try to visit Mr. and Mrs. Pan as often as I can, because if their today is indeed our tomorrow, I would like it if someone visits me, someone who takes time to show that she/he cares, and bring me flowers on Mother’s day on behalf of my son who can not. I would like it.

Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Pan.