Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My mysterious boy

Looking at this picture taken just last evening, I wish we can all smile with such innocence.

I discovered last night that Jake can do something really amazing with the letters.

I used to place 4-8 letters in front of him and ask him “where is E, where B, where is X…” and he picks out each letter correctly, and that was how we knew he knew the letters, even though he doesn’t know any colors or shapes. Strange right?

Last night, I changed the game a little bit. I randomly placed 4 letters in front of him, for example, B, O, S, Q, and I asked him “Queens starts with what letter?” He looked at all the letters and picked out Q, and then I asked “Book starts with what letter?” Sure enough he picked up B. Today I gave him one word for each letter, and he got almost all of them correct. The errors he made were with words he has never heard of before.

Get this; my husband asked him “iPod starts with what letter?” Can you believe he picked up letter “I”? I was shocked; he wouldn’t have the slightest idea what an iPod is. Heck, I don’t even have one; I don’t even know how to use one! Do I need one?

The best thing out of all this is the fact that he truly enjoys playing the letter games. Unlike all the other table top activities I do with him, which he looses attention and focus after a few minutes unless I have food as a motivator, and even then he hates them especially stacking or building blocks.

I am not sure what is going on in his little brain, but we will keep working on the letters because they are fun to him.

No comments: