Monday, October 23, 2006

A little set back

Warning, this isn’t going to be a “positive” update, although I will try to be as positive as I can under the circumstance. (By the way, that is suppose to be a picture showing me being frustrated).

This past Friday afternoon, Jake had his OT (occupational therapy) session as usual. Unfortunately, he was injured. I stepped outside of the building to answer a phone call, and when I came back, he was sitting on the floor apparently upset. The OT and I both thought he was upset because she had got him off the swing (one of his favorite activities). I got him off the floor and tried to walk him to the table like we always did, but he clearly was in pain and couldn’t even make one step. The OT then told me after she got him off the swing, she proceeded to turn him around and he started to cry. We ended the session early because he was just not himself.

We came home and Jake took a nap, I was hoping that by the time he woke up, whatever pain he had would have subsided. But he woke up and he still couldn’t bear any weight on his left leg. I called his PT (physical therapist) Kevin, whom I really trust when it comes to Jake related issues. He came over after work and thoroughly checked Jake. There is no apparent swelling, redness or bruising, he is able to sit, crawl, and make transitions on the floor, and Kevin thought it is unlikely that he broke anything. We think he twisted his left knee somehow. Kevin recommended that we let Jake rest, no weight bearing, and ice the knee (although there is no swelling).

It is Monday morning, Jake is still unable to weight bear on the left side, although I WANT to believe he is willing a little bit more compare to Friday, which is a good sign that the pain is lessening. We are scheduled to leave for our Michigan trip in less than 5 days, and at this point, we are not sure if he can go and participate in the intensive therapy.

He was walking and standing so well before this past Friday, now he won’t even put his foot down. We’ve already paid for airline tickets, hotels, and what if we can’t go? OK, how can I be positive under this situation? Be patient, I tell myself, having a child with special needs is like running a marathon, I must be able to adapt to changes and unforeseen circumstances, and pray, pray a lot.

No comments: