Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A new language?

So we are officially delaying our Michigan trip for a week, just so we can give Jake more time to recover from his injury. If he is still not fully recovered a week from now, we will have no choice but cancel the whole trip.

Today, Jake’s OT did some gentle massage, stretching and cranial sacral work on his entire left leg, I want to say that he was bearing weight a little better after that. But it is too soon to sing the happy song at this time. We go back to see her tomorrow night for more massaging and cranial work. She apologized a zillion times for what happened, but the truth of the matter is she doesn’t really know what happened or how it happened. Only if Jake could talk, then the “mystery” can be solved. But then again, if he could talk, a lot of other things can be solved as well.

I was just thinking I am so grateful to the internet. When we first realized the severity of Jake’s medical issues, what saved me was the internet. I spent hours upon hours researching about hypotonia, about dandy walker, about CP, about anything and everything related to his conditions. I’ve also connected with so many parents around the globe and exchanged valuable information. I have formed great friendships with women some I have never met, yet I feel like most of the times, they understand me better than my own family does. To me, being a member of the special needs community is almost like being in a “virtual” society, except none of us chose to be in it, but once you are in it for whatever reason, you learned a whole new way of life, a new perspective on people and things, even a new language. I mean how many of you out there know what is hypotonia, what is dandy walker, what is cranial sacral, if you don’t live in my “society”. While I am at it, what is an IEP, what is EI, CPSE, CSE? I told you, a whole new language. But ask any of my good friends in Atlanta, Michigan, New Jersey, Illinois, and Minnesota, they can explain the terminologies better than I can.

OK, let me stop rambling about nothing.

No comments: