Friday, October 27, 2006

Wheelchair shopping begins

Isn't that cute? Jake enjoys his computer game so much while my husband sings along with his eyes close. LOL.

Today there was no school because it was Parent-Teacher Day. Jake and I went in and spoke with his special education teacher, PT, OT and SP therapists.

Jake’s PT and OT advised me that I might need to look into getting Jake’s wheel chair, because his special needs stroller may not be allowed to go on the school bus next year, even though it is a crash tested version, which means he will need a wheelchair. So naturally, I am turning to my best friend www.google.com to learn about wheel chair options. I am mainly looking for a pediatric wheel chair what is light weight, and allows the child to propel the wheels independently. Since Jake has full functions in his arms and hands, I want him to learn to propel the wheels. Anything that promotes independence I am all for it, even if it is in a wheel chair.

Well, during the one on one meeting with his special education teacher this morning, Jake identified all of his letters. He was very proud of himself and I bet his teacher was surprised that he knew his letters. It is important for me to communicate to his teachers and therapists what he is able to do, because I want them to see his potentials despite of his multiple disabilities, and in recognizing his potentials that they expect more from him.

When others expect more from him, I expect more from myself to help him to achieve more. It is a very positive as well as necessary cycle for Jake’s development I think.

I also found out that Jake speech therapist reads this blog, so I better not saying anything bad about her. (hi Susan!!!) I want to thank you for your advise. I tried many times today to have Jake look at me when he requested for things, and he did very well most of the time!

No comments: